Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Freddie Keeps Talkin'; Dee Feels Full of Love

Did anyone watch the CONCACAF Champions League match tonight between Houston Dynamo and Isidro Metapan? Something about that lonely field down in El Salvador made that game so intimate. It was almost hot for a few minutes there. You could hear every yell on the sideline and from what looked to be no more than 500 fans, maybe.

“C’mon! Punt it!”

“Hey... hey, hey, hey hey!”

An Isidro Metapan player goes down in the 70 somethingth minute, barely, and the full five-person staff of the local medical clinic comes running out on the pitch with their stretchers and spray stuff. The player does his best drama act as he gets on the stretcher and then you’re back to the sounds of grunting and pushing and rushing.

Houston ‘keeper Hall comes out looking wide and strong and scares off a one on one attack. He taps his adversary on the ass friendly and relieved. A Houston player muscles out the opposing man holding the ball under his foot in his own corner in the 80 somethingth minute. The field is only moderately well lit, which gives it a gritty backseat appeal. Maybe the natural light is even better for the players, but it wasn't made for televised coverage. You could almost see the stars for chrissakes!

Ugh. And there was Craig Waibel again. I’ve got a bad taste in my mouth about that guy, mostly because of his chorus line of chubby groupies in their stupid orange shirts at the Houston game this summer. The same game that Captain Sherbet, the gangly teenage kid with glasses, an orange cape and sherbet colored face paint was a mere few seats to my left, within sweating distance. I liked him though. That took balls for some acne kid to show up with his orange flag and his solo chants, “We got Onstad!” in the heart of Sounders season ticket holder country.

They lost. Houston. 3-2. I was rooting for them. I was, of course! I’m rooting for the MLS baby! Plus Isidro’s jerseys were way too busy. I never root for bad style.

But then, oh God, then. Talk about style. The AC Milan v. Real Madrid highlights. A thing of beauty. I love the way what’s his name, Max Bretos, says “naughty.” Kaka against his old teammates at AC Milan (we got his jersey on clearance after the trade). Goal after goal. So smooth. AC Milan upsets.

And on and on. The UEFA Champions League highlights. I could keep going, really. And I did, with another beer, and then I moseyed on over to Freddie’s site (we’re on first name basis until I can come up with a nickname), and read about how he says every MLS team needs 2 or 3 International players. http://freddie.speaksup.com/2009/10/21/mls-would-need-players-like/

Yes. Yes! Keep talking, Freddie. He’s rooting for the MLS too. Thierry Henry to New York Red Bulls? www.mls-rumors.net says so among others. New York needs the help, no doubt. I’m even rooting for them. This is how I know the MLS has not come of age yet. The only team I despise is the LA Galaxy.

Portland? Vancouver? I’m gearing up to loathe them.

1 comment:

Dawn said...

And also, Hall, Houston's 'keeper, SCORED A GOAL in that match. From his net, he lofted it up in the air, and then it bounced over their keeper and into the goal. Crazy!