Monday, April 27, 2009

Where to Learn Your Sounders FC Chants

So I ordered me up a helping of DVR last week and swapped out my cable box. Genius, I must say. Or idiotic not to have done it sooner, you might say. There’s no replacing the experience at Xbox pitch, but re-watching the match in high-definition during those dry days without Sounders action is a beautiful thing for a superfan. Plus, you may have noticed I’m not at the top of my blogging game the day-after-a-home-game. We at SoundersBoard are often in need of a little recovery time. Good thing you're not coming here for the play by play commentary.

Moreover, without said DVR I would have missed the pregame report from Jen Mueller. Jen Mueller is like FSN’s version of Craig Sager, and I love Craig Sager. (If you don’t know who Craig Sager is, well, he’s the guy on the sidelines at NBA and MLB games in the best suits. Like the ones you can get at LeRoy Menswear down on 2nd and Pike and that have been adorning pimps for decades.)

Jen enlightened us all by interviewing the capo for Emerald City Supporters outside the classic Triangle Pub (not to be confused with the meat-market Triangle in Fremont or the Ould Triangle on Greenwood). So if you were wondering who leads the ECS in singing the first verse of the Perry Como’s Seattle at kick-off or maybe the Cock Sparrer song Take 'Em All, now you know. “Mommy, what’s a cock sparrer?” The answer to that, you remain on your own with, unless Jen explains it during the next pregame show.

You can practice up on Sounders FC songs and chants at ECS’s excellent website. You can also learn about all that great tifo down in the South End. “In Keller We Trust” rang true for me.

Some lively chap in my section, I’ll presume not an official capo, but enthusiastic nonetheless, was leading fans in:



OOOOHHH TO!
OOOOHHH TO BE!
OOOOOOHHH TO BE A SOUNDER!!

But my personal favorite remains:

We came to drink, we came to sing whoa whoa
We came to drink, we came to sing whoa whoa
We came to drink, we came to sing ECS from one thirteen!
Whoa, ooohhh, oohh

(Squeeze in any section number that you are sitting in, of course.)

Signing off with:

I’m Sounders ‘till I die,
I’m Sounders ‘till I die.
I know I am, I’m sure I am.
I’m Sounders ‘till I die.

No comments: